How we found ourselves in China.


From the Mountains of Idaho to the city of Xi'an





Hi, my name is Melissa and I'm a teacher. You might be wondering what I'm doing. Well if you are a yoga fan you'll see I'm doing tree pose. You might also be wondering why I'm in an ancient amphitheater in the city of Pompeii.

Well this is my journey; from teaching speech and debate in South Eastern Idaho to travelling to Europe and beyond.
Three days ago I began the newest chapter of my journey when my 6yr old daughter, Rachel and I arrived in Xi'an China. I never quite appreciated the phrase "just the clothes on your back" until all of our luggage was delayed and we simply had just the clothes on our back.

How did we come to find ourselves in the ancient and historical city of Xi'an China? (Don't worry, I hadn't heard of it before this journey either) Well follow me on our journey and I will share my story with you.



Let's start in the kitchen, because all good stories should start around food.

In 2010 I planned a trip to Italy and Greece for my students the following year. As part of my training I had the opportunity to got to Paris!
Although this isn't a kitchen in the primary sense, it was my first 'taste' of traveling to a new country!








Traveling to Italy and Greece was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had.


















As a result I planned another student trip to England Ireland, Wales and Paris










And returned to Italy and Greece once again!



Nothing beats gelato!
Pizza Margherita




Ah, the Island of Capri!!


Now here I am in Xi'an China making chicken stir fry for dinner...But let me back up a bit,




OK, maybe Rachel is making stir-fry...


She is going to be a great cook!
So, you might be wondering how we got here.

Last year my husband started seeking his life long dream of going to law school. We didn't know how we were going to do it but I was determined to support him.
With a goal of growing as a professional and experiencing new culture; I accepted a position at the Hanova International School. After a last minute and unexpected trip across the country we made it to the Chinese embassy in DC to obtain our visas. Long flights and delayed luggage aside we are here in the incredible city of Xi'an.


Our tiny Chinese kitchen
view from our apt




Now here we are in the historical city of Xi'an China, just figuring things out day by day! More to come later. Keep checking back.


Comments

  1. You are so brave! Good luck to both you and your little one and your husband searching for what he wants. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amaxing person iam lucky to know you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics of Rachel cooking in your adorable kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts