Shopping in Xi'an

Shopping made easy...or is it?


There are a lot of things we take for granted in the states. One of which is shopping bags. They don't give you bags for your groceries unless you buy them here. Even if you have a full basket of stuff. Today I had my second experience doing some major shopping. After our morning obligations we decided to embark on a journey to the supermarket to find some meat, cleaning supplies and other things you need when you move to a new place.

Around our apartment complex there are many small shops. Most sell a few items at most and it can be difficult to find everything you need.






The supermarket was huge and sadly I failed to take pictures of the outside. But it was quite the adventure. Chinese people eat various cuts of meat which include everything; chicken feet, animal tongue, gizzards and more.
I honestly had no idea there were so many different kinds of eggs.






The thing that took us the longest to find was dish soap. We tried getting help from someone who worked here, but I didn't know the word for soap. Rachel tried gesturing by rubbing a sponge on a bucket we had in our basket but it was not working. After quite some time a young man who spoke a tiny bit of English helped us find the cleaning supplies. What a laugh I had when I got home and realized I had bought vegetable wash instead!

The most notable experience so far was riding in a Tuk Tuk. It's basically like a cardboard box on top of a motorcycle. They are cheap and navigate easily.We both enjoyed it very much.


After the supermarket we came home, unloaded our supplies and I started our first real meal here in China.

Now it is time for me to get some sleep.
Talk later.

Comments

  1. It's already an adventure! You are making so many amazing memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts