The adventures of grocery stores.


I know many of you are curious about all the odd things you can find in a Chinese grocery store, so I took some time this past week to grab some pics of the array of awesomeness at the local shops.




First off, one of the most unique things about all the stores I've been in so far, is that they all have more than one floor and include these crazy moving ramps. Your grocery basket has magnets on the bottom and when you get on the ramp your cart sticks and a service person at the end helps lift the cart at the end just to make sure it comes off easily.







 All the stores I have been in are clean and organized. Often with more service people than you ever thought possible in one store. Seriously, US stores like Wal-Mart could take a cue from the Chinese. There is always someone nearby that wants to help you! I was looking for a broom and mop the other day and there was a service associate just standing in the isle waiting to show people the specials and values. Not only did she point out the items that were on sale, but she also demonstrated the mops for me so I could see how they each worked. This was all done in Chinese mind you, but still, I got the point.


Craving your favorite beverage? Well not to worry the primary colas are available in China. I have also seen Sprite and 7UP. Sorry Dewers you and the Dr. Peppers may have a hard time getting your drink on. :(





All the grocery stores I've been in are set up, in some ways, like mini malls. When you first walk in you'll notice a jewelry counter perhaps, a rug shop, a pet shop, a bakery, or even discount areas. These little shops seem to be independent from the larger grocery store itself and items picked up here have to be purchased at the individual shop POS.















You might even find a tea shop or Tupperware store!










 Baby Banana Brushes can be found at a lot of small shops. My friend Natalee's family owns the company that created these. 




If the soda isn't hard enough to cure what ails you, not to worry, there are shelves of alcohol in every store. Chinese liquor is sold at major grocery stores and imports can also be found in some sections of the store as well. Yesterday I saw Absolut Vodka on sale at IKEA for less than $20 USD for a fifth!




The grocery store itself is really not that shocking. They have produce, frozen foods, and bulk sections just like an American store.



The produce here is very fresh and readily available. We typically don't even go to the bigger store for fruit and vegetables because there are so many local stands right next to our building. It is very inexpensive too! I buy apples 2 or 3 times a week now. They are tart, crisp and flavorful and only cost around .25 cents each. Because of the easy access to fresh produce it is nearly impossible to find anything canned. Most stores do not have any canned foods so that has been a big shift for us.






The fish and seafood section is probably the most unique and different for me. Here in Xi'an you can get a wide variety of fresh fish and seafood. All fish on display is on ice in a very chilly section of the store. It seems a bit weird at first but it is convenient that you can get such a variety in an inland city like Xi'an. 








 You will also find a large variety of unique things in the produce section. I mentioned eggs before but I had never seen such a variety of pickled eggs before. Look closely at the items in the orange package. Those are eggs that have been preserved in some kind of solution. I have also seen, what I think might be, the well known, century egg. While it doesn't take a century to actually make these preserved duck eggs, the idea of eating one might take me a century to wrap my head around.

 More eggs and produce.





Various bulk items, seasoning, and spices are often sold like this.



Next is the meat section. The butcher areas of the store is almost identical to what we have in the US. Some items are prepackaged, some you can select, while others have been prepared and cooked in advance. The Chinese do eat the whole animal when it comes to different cuts of meat. They use the bones to make broth and they often cook meat and then serve it cold.



 The bulk food section is always a curiosity. I never quote know what some things are.Below are a couple pictures of some small crackers and snack mixes.




As I mentioned previously, some shops have little bakeries near the front of the store. Be wary of your international food needs though because a box of Honey Bunches of Oats will set you back close to $10 USD



Last but not least don't forget your prophylactic. I guess in a country that still enforces the 1 kid policy, it's important that proper birth control be readily available. Yes, that is my daughter wondering "mommy, what is that?" I basically avoided the question.



A few more weird items. As you've learned, the Chinese enjoy every bit of their poultry but it still always startles me to see things like duck and chicken feet, or sometimes even their heads being sold in the store.




A few more glimpses into the fish and seafood section. I have no idea what anyone would do with that giant black fish on the right, but I guess it will feed someone.


If you want fresh crab, come and get it. Those little babies were just chilling out in the tank blowing bubbles. I know it might be shocking to see turtles in the seafood section but, yes, people around the world eat turtles. You can still get your cute little box turtle as a pet and no one is going to make soup out of it, but these turtles were likely raised on a turtle farm, specifically for food purposes.





All in all, a trip to the grocery store is just like back home. I have to sift and filter through things I can't read or understand but the service people are friendly and helpful and usually when I show someone a word on my translate app, they will just walk  me right to it. There are many things in the store that I am completely unfamiliar with, but I can find the basics. Rachel and I are also having fun cooking together at home.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts