A Circus in China

It has been a few weeks since my last post and I apologize. The freshness of China has begun to fade into the everyday pattern of life. We have grown accustomed to the morning traffic jams, rows of street vendors, and constant stares from people admiring Rachel's blond hair.

But Saturday the 14th we were invited to a circus with my sweet friend Shirley. She is a technician in our school science department and she is one of the most lovely genuine people I have ever met. Rachel and I took a taxi across town and met up with Shirley at the Xingqing Park where the Circus was.




We grabbed some popcorn (sweetened of course because China doesn't believe in butter...) *sigh* and found our way to our seats.





Shirley and her son Simba. He is so sweet.




The Circus started with a lively intro. Rachel was immediately mesmerized.



The first act was acrobats walking the tight rope.


I loved seeing Rachel's expressions as we watched.

Even Shirley and Simba were awed.


I think this was when they walked across blindfolded.


The next act was a variety of animals. Dancing bears, dogs doing tricks and some monkeys. I'll admit, I don't fully love watching animals in the circus because you wonder how they are being treated. It was still quite amazing seeing them perform.




These acrobats were Rachel's favorite. Three acrobats, ran, flipped and juggled inside these three rotating hamster wheels. The balance and coordination of these performers was stunning.


These two acrobats were my favorite. Not only did their abs provide me with some much needed eye candy, but their strength and control was incredible. 



Next came the tigers. Rachel was amazed by these beauties as well. She had a hard time understanding why the cage had to be put up.




After the show, we walked around the park and found some decorated steps that the children were using as a slide. I couldn't keep Rachel from having more fun so we watched the kids play for a while. All the moms and grandmas were watching their kids climb up the steps and slide down. Who knew you could have so much fun on some stone steps?



Finally our adventure came to an end. We had such a fun day!
Can't wait for the next part of the city to explore.


That face looks oddly familiar...mom, does it remind you of a little girl in a red dress?

T

Comments

Popular Posts